Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Michigan on my Mind

I hope that in light of today's government shutdown that this post does not seem frivolous. But, just maybe, you need to read something positive as much as I need to write it...



I absolutely LOVE fall! I love hoodies and crackling candles; a blustery, cloudy day spent in my jammies; and a hot bowl of chili or stew with fresh-from-the-oven biscuits.


In my "What Makes Me..." page (see sidebar), I mentioned that I am a Michigan transplant. While there is no denying the breath-taking beauty of afternoon sun on golden aspens, I sometimes still find myself a little homesick for Michigan's flamboyant color display. She decks herself in colors ranging from delicate peach and pink all the way to flaming tangerine, burgundy, and red.


The other thing about Michigan fall that I miss is apples, especially apple cider. Apples are to Michigan what corn, wheat, and sugar beets are to Montana. One just can't go very far without driving by an orchard. And in the fall, they all sell freshly squeezed apple cider. Mom always bought (or made) some, and if we were particularly good and helpful children, it wasn't too hard to talk her into making doughnuts to go with our cider. THAT, my friends, is a Michigan fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment