Thursday, October 19, 2017

Goin' to Grandma's



I have so many wonderful memories of time spent at Grandma's farm: pancake breakfasts (talk about "farm-to-table"!), baby kitties and chicks, and making sugar cookies. Her sugar cookies were legendary! I now have her cookie cutters, but I can't make her cookies -- the recipe was only recorded in her head. (We'll just leave the not-so-wonderful memories like the terrifying watchdogs and the plethora of snakes for another post, okay?)


I think that I have only been back to the farm once since Grandma passed away, so it was a special treat indeed when my brother talked my aunt into letting us into the house. As soon as she finally got the stubborn door to yield, she and I said in unison, "It still smells like Grandma's house." My cousin now owns the property, and is in the process of remodeling. It was fun to see what he has done, and to remember how it used to be. 


After touring the house, we returned outside. While some things had changed - the two big pine trees had fallen victim to storms, for instance - most everything was just as it was when we were kids. It was such a sweet afternoon reconnecting with my childhood, my brother, and, in a sense, even with my grandma. 

The chicken coop
If Grandma knew that we were coming,
she usually waited to feed the chickens and gather the eggs
so that we could help. 

I was afraid of the cows, but once they were secure in their stalls,
I would join Grandma in the barn.
I loved to watch her milk the cows and occasionally squirt a kitty!


Next post: Tunneling to the Beach 
Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment