Saturday, November 30, 2013

Spending my Birthday in Red Lodge

New road, new views

A girl only gets one birthday a year, so it should be embraced and celebrated! I had already decided what I wanted to do today, so I was a little concerned when I woke up to grey skies. But fortunately, the clouds started to break up, and by the time I made myself as pretty as possible, the sun was shining.

Yep, been to that tippy-top!
Off to Red Lodge! In honor of the occasion, Dan even found a road that we have never taken before ~ not an easy feat! The gravel road had its own surprise for us ~ perhaps the most head-on view of Silver Run Peak that we have seen. We have an affinity for this 12,500 foot peak. Climbing to the top of it will do that.  Along the way, we were reminded that while the new truck has more "muscle" under the hood, the tires are NOT what we had on the old truck. (Soon to be remedied!) Only once was I afraid that we just might not get up the hill, even in 4-wheel drive. But after a couple of tries, she got her wheels under her and we made it to the paved road and on down into Red Lodge.




While I love Montana and can't imagine living anywhere else, I am very glad that I did not arrive in this era!
  

Red Lodge is a favorite mountain haunt of ours ~ It is the start of our all-time favorite drive, the Beartooth Highway; the trailhead to Silver Run Peak, our longest, highest hike, is not far out of town; and the little shops and lack of corporate America reminds me of my hometown in Northern Michigan in the 70's and 80's. We did a little Christmas shopping, visited with a couple of local professional photographers (there is always something we can learn), and had an awesome plate of nachos at Bogart's. Of course, no stop in Red Lodge is complete until I have been to the Candy Emporium. I guess that is enough for one birthday.

A beautiful end to an enjoyable day

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! This brings back some memories. Does the candy store still carry Grandma's Sen-Sens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't looked for those, but I imagine that they do. They still have Black Jack gum and Chiclets. :)

      Delete