Thursday, October 20, 2016

A is for Apple


I am forever a lover of fall... hoodies, changing leaves, hot drinks... As much as I have come to accept (and enjoy) Montana fall for what it is, it just can't quite live up to fall in the Midwest. Therefore, when Ashley offered to fly me out to see her this last weekend, I did not debate very long before accepting her invitation. 





I flew into Milwaukee on Thursday night, and on Friday morning, we headed "up north" to Door County. Lighthouses, colored leaves, shorelines... what's not to love? One thing that I really wanted to find was an apple orchard - one of the "U Pick" kind. Ashley found me one, even if it was a little out of the way. We spent quite a bit of time wandering among the trees, relishing the sights and scents of fall. We eventually selected a couple of perfect apples and returned to where we detoured. 





As we came back to the main highway, waves were topping the breakwater, and a bright red lighthouse gleamed in the sun. So we stopped once again. I was having fun photographing the waves coming up on the sand, but I got a little too intent on the one in the lens and didn't see the one that soaked my pantlegs and filled my shoes! Oops!






Saturday morning dawned cool and damp and we debated between an indoor museum or risking getting wet at the zoo. We took our chances on the zoo. We had a pleasant afternoon, and despite the clouds, we stayed dry.


Yes, it is captive, but it's pretty. 
After a scrumptious pasta dinner at the restaurant where Ashley works, we were ready for the trip's main attraction: a Chinese lantern festival at the Boener Botanical Gardens. Besides the intricate light displays, we also enjoyed a live show with ballet, juggling, and martial arts. And - drumroll, please - homemade apple pie egg rolls with caramel dipping sauce! So very delicious! Ashley commented at this point that the whole trip was beginning to center around apples. This is a problem? 

















Sunday came all too quickly, and after church and a nice lunch with my great-uncle and aunt, I was back on a plane headed west. As I arrived in Billings, I was filled with gratitude for the privilege of travel. But I was also very glad to be back home in Montana, even if the leaves are JUST yellow! 


BONUS PICTURES :)

Moonrise over a bay in Door County
It wouldn't be Chinese...

...without a dragon or two. 
Ouch!
Me and my girl <3



No comments:

Post a Comment