Sunday, July 10, 2016

Bloomin' Antlers


Regular readers of this blog will know that we LOVE Yellowstone National Park. In fact, in the last ten days, we (in some combination or another) have made three trips into the park. 

Last week, we were joined at our church camp near Big Sky by my parents from Michigan. On that Friday, we made a quick foray into YNP and around the Grand Loop. On Tuesday (while I was at work, boo!), Dan and Daddy took a road trip. They went up the Beartooth Pass, through Cooke City, into Lamar Valley, and out at Gardiner. Sitting at dinner, Dan said to my dad, "Don't let me forget my hat." Yep... you guessed it!


This Friday morning found us headed back to Gardiner to retrieve the forgotten hat. A co-worker asked me Thursday night if we had ever explored the Tom Miner Basin. We haven't, and it was on the way, so we made the side trip. The bright morning sunshine highlighted the peaks, the flowers, and a beautiful doe and her twin fawns. 



The main goal for the day was a little hiking. Dan had taken a side road, Black Tail Plateau Road, on Tuesday, and he was itching to get out of the car and scale the high point. We were again photographing flowers when I spotted a shed elk antler among the blooms. Not too far away, its mate was poking up out of the grass. A few minutes later, we peered down into a ravine and spied three more pairs. We probably found a dozen more sheds of differing ages as we looped our way back to the car. 

I didn't place these antlers, just photographed them as they lay.
However, I don't think I could have done any better. 

We followed the one-way gravel road back to the pavement, then turned toward Lamar. From there, we proceeded to Cooke City and dinner (Dan left his hat in the car), and up over the pass and home. 

Just a thistle, but I thought it was pretty. 

Indian Paintbrush





No comments:

Post a Comment