Saturday, March 28, 2015

This is Why I Golf

Wait, wait, WAIT! Before you roll your eyes and return to your homepage, hear me out. This is NOT a play-by-play commentary on my latest round.

Bully Pulpit Golf Course, Medora, ND

Why, you may be wondering, am I writing a post about golf on a nature/outdoor blog? Well, my friend, golf is not played in a gymnasium or an arena. Golf is, in fact, a great way to "go outside and play"! It is also an enjoyable way, in my opinion, to get some exercise. I don't think I have ever walked 5.7 miles in one stretch on the treadmill, yet that is what the odometer in my golf watch said I did yesterday. Golf is also a favorite way for us as a couple to unwind and spend some quality time together. 

But I digress... I was thinking as we played yesterday about some of the beautiful places we have played. Fall golf in Michigan and Minnesota? Yes, please! How about in view of gorgeous mountains in Montana and Washington? I'll take that, too. 

Covington Links, South Souix City, NE


I think my very favorite thing about playing golf... outside... in beautiful places, is the wildlife. Out among the budding trees yesterday morning (yes, I was seeking an errant tee-shot), the robins were busy chasing each other and just generally creating a ruckus. A pair of mallard ducks were swimming in the pond near the green, and of course the geese were everywhere. The turtles aren't out yet, but they will be soon. The squirrels are always entertaining, and deer are frequent visitors to our course, especially during quiet, evening rounds. We have even played among antelope a time or two, though not on our course. 

The only frequent golf course visitors that I would really rather not see are the snakes. Back in Michigan at the course where I learned to play, it was a really good (and rare) day that I didn't see at  least one garter snake. While most of the snakes here are also harmless, there have been a few rattlers on the course. One was a baby one... on the ladies' teebox! I am very glad that I spotted it before I reached down to put my tee in the ground!


Old Works, Anaconda, MT
Pheasant Country, South Heart, ND
It has been said that golf is a good walk spoiled. I beg to differ. One just has to slow down, take a deep breath, and take a look around. Beauty is everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment