Sunday, April 5, 2015

Life's a Beach in Weatherman Draw


This was a crazy-busy week at work, so I just had to get out in God's big playground! I needed some peace and quiet and solitude. We have driven by Weatherman Draw a time or two, but have never stopped to explore. Therefore, Friday morning, it became our destination. 




Much of the rock in the area is sandstone. What is no longer stone is sand - sand as fine and soft as you will find on any beach. At one point as we walked, I fully expected to lift my eyes and see a big, beautiful, blue lake. Nope, just sage and cactus. That's okay, I wasn't wearing flip-flops, anyway.



As we sat on a rock eating our lunch, we stared out across the valley. One spot in particular especially intrigued me. What was that dark area behind the trees? Dan couldn't tell any more than I could, even with his binoculars, so we set out to solve the mystery. 


There was a reason that we had been walking along the sandstone walls. There are known pictographs in the area, so we were looking for them. We eventually came to the spot that we had seen, and it proved to be a deep recess in the base of the cliff. We didn't find any ancient artwork, but we did spy a pair of nesting bluebirds. We got a few pictures of them before they flew out of range of our lenses. We waited for a bit, hoping that they might come back. It was nice just to sit and soak up the warm sunshine. Everything was so peaceful and quiet. 



Eventually, we gave up on the birds and made our way into the neighboring draw. Here, we did find some pictographs. Finally feeling like we had found what we came for, we turned back toward the waiting vehicle. Of course, there is still a lot left to explore another day. 



1 comment:

  1. Boy, what a place to let your imagination run! The bluebird picture is my favorite, but they are all very intriguing. Keep up the good work. I can almost relax just reading about your restful adventure. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete